Frankincense Oil Extraction Process
Click Here to Download, View, and Print a PDF Version
Frankincense Oil Extraction
What you need:
- EssenEx® 100 Distillation Kit for Frankincense oil distillation process
- 100 grams of Frankincense
- Weight the plant material.
- Use a blender to make the botanical material powder.
- Add water to powder with ratio ½ ml water per gram of Frankincense potential mass (½:1 by mass).
- Mix until it is a consistent paste.
- Place in EssenEx as describe in User Manual.
- Place the reactor into the microwave with one mug of water.
- If multiple batches are run, change water in the mug between trials.
- Each batch should run for 5.5 minutes on a power setting of HIGH (1100 watts)
- Lower power units: simply add 30 seconds to a minute for the cooking phase.
- Allow the batch to cool for 6 minutes. 3 minutes inside the microwave and 3 minutes outside the microwave and be careful if moving from the microwave, as jar will be quite warm initially.
- Pour top contents of the beaker into the easy separator and rotate it using the palms of your hands while resting it on a cloth (kitchen towel) on a hard surface (counter top). The motion should be similar to starting a fire with sticks.
- After a few seconds, stop rotating the separator and observe the oil layer.
- Repeat the process if you believe more oil will collect.
- Once the oil is separated (above the hydrosol in the neck of the flask), use the pipette to place it in a vial.
- Upon lifting the lid, a small amount of ice should be remaining on screw.
- If not, then reduce the amount of water added.
- With nominally good frankincense, 3% to 3.5% by mass.
- 100 grams yields roughly 3.0 to 3.5 ml oil.