Orange Essential Oil
Orange Oil Extraction
What you need:
– EssenEx® 100 Distillation Kit
– 4 – 8 oranges (Oranges to be consumed by students! — peel is used in experiment!)
– Vegetable/Cheese grater – “pyramid type”
– Small kitchen or postal scale (0-1 KG, 1gm resolution)
– Microwave oven (normal Kitchen type)
– Roll of paper towels, access to tap water and a freezer.
– Oven mitts, towels or gloves to handle the EssenEx reactor while warm
– Previously prepared: 3 ice cores for use during class period (Freeze overnight)
– At least 3 vials for orange oil that will be extracted.
The Experiment: (Duration: ~ 45 minutes)
Does the method of preparation of the orange skin change the amount of orange oil extracted?
Quantitative analysis, error, natural organic chemistry,
Experiential / Cognitive learning.
– Team: 4 students. Individual groups or one full class observation of team.
—-Prepare orange skins for extraction:
Grate 80 g of the orange colored portion of the skin (but not into the true orange fruit) with one of the four sides of the grater and 40 g from one of the other three sides, making 3 samples of 40 g each.
—- Place the reactor and one mug of water into the microwave.
—- Follow User Manual for the non-plant specific operation. (6 minutes on Hi)
– Pour top contents of beaker into the easy separator.
– While the oil is separating, clean out reactor and let two students perform next run.
– Other two students: Rotate the separator axially by rubbing the neck between the palms of your hands. After a few seconds, observe the oil layer.
– Repeat the process if you believe more oil will collect
– Once the oil is separated, measure the column height in millimeters with a ruler.
– Transfer oil to a vial.
– Repeat for the other two samples and develop conclusions based on mm extracted.
For questions and far more suggestions of experiments, please contact us at Info@oilextech.com or fill out our Customer Feedback at our website: www.oilextech.com/contact-us/
EssenEx® 100A (Advanced) Essential Oil Extraction Kit$229.00
The EssenEx® 100A Essential Oil Home Extraction Kit is the world’s fastest extraction kit. This patented product, developed at Oregon State University, uses the same technique found in traditional steam distillation but works through your home microwave! The outcome? More convenient and higher quality essential oil made right in your home in just 6 minutes! Whether you use essential oils for medicinal, therapeutic, culinary, or other purposes, you can save time and money with this revolutionary product.
This kit includes everything you need to extract separate and store your own essentials you grow in your garden. Each time you use your extractor you will yield up to 3.5 g of oil depending on the plant material and 7-9 oz. of hydrosol. One run uses 50-100+g (1/8 – ¼ lbs) of plant material.
The 100A (Advanced) includes Ice Molds, Stands and Insulators to improve Ice core (condenser) along with a Silicone Insulator Pad and Packaging Design to allow you to easily store product when not in use.
EssenEx® 100E (Economy) Essential Oil Extraction Kit$199.00
The EssenEx® 100E Essential Oil Home Extraction Kit is the same device as the EssenEx100A but with only two Ice Mold Sets and fewer pipettes and vials.
EssenEx®-300 Essential Oil Extraction Kit
The EssenEx®-300, inspired from customers wanting a higher capacity, triples the botanical volume capacity while at only costing about twice as much. It is a smart investment for entrepreneurs making soaps, creams and other care products, aroma therapists and folks that have a fragrance farm store such as many lavender growers. This is also a great option for home schools and K-12 chemistry labs. It is larger than the 100, and requires a microwave with a vertical clearance of no less than 9.5 inches (240mm).
EssenEx® 100A (Advanced) Essential Oil Extraction Kit – 2 Pack (Save $20)$438.00
A Special 2-Pack of our Newest and most popular unit! Two (2) EssenEx® 100A (Advanced) packaged together, with a $20 discount. On top of that, you will save money on shipping cost per unit as well! Packaged individually in one shipping box therefore reducing the cost of shipping per unit.