Basil Oil Extraction
What you need:
– EssenExTM 100 Distillation Kit for basil oil distillation
– 100 grams of Basil Leaf, chopped or ground.
– Grinding tool (blender or food processor) [if Basil not chopped or ground]
– Place Basil in Freezer for 24 hours to facilitate chopping and extraction.
– For initial runs, use 100 grams. Later, more or less may be used.
– Add water to powder with ratio ½ ml water per gram of botanical. ( ½ :1 by mass)
– Place in EssenExTM as described in user manual.
– Place the reactor into the microwave with mug of water.
—-If multiple batches are to be run, change water in the mug between runs.
– Start with a 5.5 minute run time on a power setting of HIGH (1100 watts)
—-Lower power units: simply add 30 seconds to a minute for the cooking phase.
– Allow the batch to cool for 6 minutes. In or outside the microwave. Caution: do not raise lid prior to 4 minutes and be careful if moving from microwave as jar will be quite warm initially.
—-This is a key step to your success. Cooling allows the vapors to condense and yield more oil and it allows the reactor to be handled much easier!
– Pour top contents of the beaker into the easy separator and rotate it using the palms of your hands while resting it on a cloth (kitchen towel) on a hard surface (counter top). The motion should be similar to starting a fire with sticks.
– After a few seconds, stop rotating the separator and observe the oil layer.
– Repeat the process if you believe more oil will collect.
– Once the oil is separated (above the hydrosol in the neck of the flask), use the pipette to place it in a vial.
– Upon lifting the lid, a small amount of ice should be seen remaining on screw.
—If not, then reduce the amount of water added or shorten microwave time.
– With nominally good Basil, 0.2 to 0.4% by mass oil should be recovered.
—-100 grams Basil yields roughly 0.2 to 0.4 ml oil.
Help Others with their Basil Oil Extraction Process!
– Please send in results using the standard reporting form and add commentary! Even qualitative results are a great help to other folks learning about nature’s gifts.
For any question please contact us at Info@oilextech.com or fill out our Customer Feedback at our website http://www.oilextech.com/contact-us/