Lavender Oil Extraction Process
Essential oil extraction is so much fun and what better way to learn than with a fan favorite, lavender. By the end of this you will not only learn how to extract and distill your own lavender oil but how to do it in the fastest and easiest way possible!
Lavender Oil Extraction
What you need:
Before you begin the extraction, it’s time to gather all the materials you’ll need. To yield the most oil and in the easiest way possible this guide uses steam distillation. For the best results use the EssenEx® 100 Extraction Kit.
– EssenEx® 100 Extraction Kit
– 50-100 grams of fresh or frozen Lavender per batch.
—- TIP: (Gross, an Intermedia/French variety has a high essential oil yield.)
– For best results minimize amount of “stem” in material for extraction batches.
—- Optional for higher yield: Use a Blender and “blend” plant material until all portions of flower are separated. If a blender is not obtainable, dice, chop or cut until portions are separated.
– Follow EssenEx® Distillation User Manual for the non-plant specific preparation.
– Place the reactor and one mug of water into the microwave.
—- If multiple batches are run, change water between each trial.
– Each batch should run for 7 minutes on a power setting of HIGH (1100 watts)
—- Lower power units: simply add 30 seconds to a minute for the cooking phase.
– A key step: Allow the batch to cool for two minutes inside the microwave. Once these two minutes are complete, carefully remove the reactor and let it cool for an additional two minutes on a cloth the counter… Before opening the lid!
—- Cooling allows the vapors to condense and form more oil and it allows the reactor to be handled much easier!
World’s Fastest Extractors
EssenEx® 100A (Advanced) Essential Oil Extraction Kit$229.00
The EssenEx® 100A Essential Oil Home Extraction Kit is the world’s fastest extraction kit. This patented product, developed at Oregon State University, uses the same technique found in traditional steam distillation but works through your home microwave! The outcome? More convenient and higher quality essential oil made right in your home in just 6 minutes! Whether you use essential oils for medicinal, therapeutic, culinary, or other purposes, you can save time and money with this revolutionary product.
This kit includes everything you need to extract separate and store your own essentials you grow in your garden. Each time you use your extractor you will yield up to 3.5 g of oil depending on the plant material and 7-9 oz. of hydrosol. One run uses 50-100+g (1/8 – ¼ lbs) of plant material.
The 100A (Advanced) includes Ice Molds, Stands and Insulators to improve Ice core (condenser) along with a Silicone Insulator Pad and Packaging Design to allow you to easily store product when not in use.
EssenEx® 100E (Economy) Essential Oil Extraction Kit$199.00
The EssenEx® 100E Essential Oil Home Extraction Kit is the same device as the EssenEx100A but with only two Ice Mold Sets and fewer pipettes and vials.
EssenEx®-300 Essential Oil Extraction Kit$399.00
The EssenEx®-300, inspired from customers wanting a higher capacity, triples the botanical volume capacity while at only costing about twice as much. It is a smart investment for entrepreneurs making soaps, creams and other care products, aroma therapists and folks that have a fragrance farm store such as many lavender growers. This is also a great option for home schools and K-12 chemistry labs. It is larger than the 100, and requires a microwave with a vertical clearance of no less than 9.5 inches (240mm).
EssenEx® 100A (Advanced) Essential Oil Extraction Kit – 2 Pack (Save $20)$438.00
A Special 2-Pack of our Newest and most popular unit! Two (2) EssenEx® 100A (Advanced) packaged together, with a $20 discount. On top of that, you will save money on shipping cost per unit as well! Packaged individually in one shipping box therefore reducing the cost of shipping per unit.
– Pour top contents of beaker into the easy separator and rotate it using your palms of your hands while resting it on a cloth on a hard surface. The motion should be similar to starting a fire with sticks.
– After a few seconds, stop rotating separator and observe the oil layer.
– Repeat the process if you believe more oil will collect
– Once the oil is separated (above the hydrosol in the neck of the flask), use the pipette to place it in a vial.
– Use the hydrosol (both that now in the flask and that still in the beaker) as you wish. .
The Many Uses of Lavender Oil
Lavender is used by millions of people for a wide range of purposes including health benefits and promoting well-being.
Most commonly used for aromatherapy, the fragrance from lavender oil is believed to help with calmness and wellness. It’s also believed to reduce stress, anxiety and possibly very mild pain.
If it’s said that lavender can promote calmness it’s not hard to believe it’s possible benefits when it comes to getting a good nights sleep. For awhile now lavender has been recommended to people who suffer from insomnia or have difficulty sleeping. Fun fact, some people use to stuff their pillow cases with lavender flowers to help them fall asleep.
Aromatherapists today use lavender to treat headaches and nervousness. Massage therapists may even apply lavender oil to help calm you.